In 2020, nine UNESCO Creative Cities of Media Arts decided to create an innovative online platform for artistic collaboration. The aim was to support art and creativity as a major force for sustainable development in these times of uncertainty. Thanks to this initiative, ten artists working in pairs – City to City – have created works responding to human responsibility questions. They sought answers to three critical questions:
- Does technology have the ability to solve all the problems in the future?
- Do we need more arts and empathy to use technology in better and more responsible ways?
- Are we allowed to make decisions on behalf of the planet?
Five works of art were created as a result of the project:
- Reminiscence Path– Beáta Kolbašovská (Košice, Slovakia) and Junichi Oguro (Sapporo, Japan)
- LIMBO – João Carlos Pinto (Braga, Portugal) and Sarah Degenhardt (Karlsruhe, Germany)
- Cartography of the Stain – Gerardo Nolasco (Karlsruhe, Germany) and Paris Díaz (Guadalajara, Mexico)
- Water Mirrors – Daniel Escobar (Calí, Columbia) and Mike Stubbs (York, UK)
- Margin of Error – Biin Shen (Changsha, China) and Liz Rodda (Austin, USA)