The project focused on developing a platform for the cooperation of local key players in tourism, by connecting the public and private sectors. Development of a tourism strategy for the destination, creation of a marketing and promotional study, initiation of the establishment of an unofficial cross-border tourist cluster, with the proviso that platforms should also be created at the local level.
The main priority of the project Carpathian Region as a Tourist Destination, or CARAT, is to support the social and economic development of the region through coordinated development of tourism in individual areas as well as the destination as a whole. The project is part of a cross-border cooperation program between 4 countries – Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, and Ukraine.
The main objective of the project is to positively influence the tourism market in order to increase the number of tourists in the cross-border region by creating an informal platform - an international tourism cluster as well as platforms at local levels in individual regions. The project implementation will also serve to support the long-term development of tourism products in the region.
During the project we wanted to:
- develop a platform for cooperation between key local tourism representatives in each area by connecting the public and private sector (sharing experience and know-how even in areas where they already cooperate)
- develop a destination tourism strategy (destination management plan), including action plans which will be implemented within the area
- create a marketing and promotional study and implement it at individual levels by training the key players
- initiate the establishment of an informal cross-border tourist cluster by the destinations identified in the strategy, with platforms being created at a local level
- public space of the city and region
- civil associations
- important key players in tourism from the private sector
- educational institutions specialized in tourism
- bodies responsible for developing local and regional policies
- tour operators