A-i-R Wro is a long-term and interdisciplinary artist-in-residence programme established under the auspices of the European Capital of Culture Wroclaw 2016. Based on a collaboration of local and foreign partners it aims to create an international platform that will enable artists, curators, animators, managers, organisations and institutions to cooperate and exchange their experiences, practices, ideas and knowledge. In addition, A-i-R Wro intends to promote artists, support their development and mobility as well as to give them an opportunity to form cultural bonds beyond borders. A-i-R Wro invites artists who represent different disciplines of art, both emerging and experienced ones, interested in collaboration with representatives of the local art scene, open to get to know a capital of the Lower Silesia Region with its inhabitants, and therefore to find a creative connection between Wroclaw and cities that they come from. The Artist-in-Residence Programme A-i-R Wro was co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Poland.
RESIDENCIES IN KOŠICE AND WROCLAW
This residential exchange between Košice and Wrocław is focused on the development of international relations between artists from Košice (Košice Region/Eastern Slovakia) and Wroclaw (Lower Silesia Region). This year the exchange’s organisers – Košice2013 and European Capital of Culture Wroclaw 2016 – invited local galleries – Brzuch Gallery from Wroclaw and Šopa Gallery from Košice – to participate in the residencies, so the artists have an opportunity to realise their projects and present their works in these galleries.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Two month residency in Wroclaw, Lower Silesia (October – November 2015)
- Studio at the Brzuch Gallery
- Accommodation in the apartment (fully furnished with kitchen)
- Fee in the amount of €1400 gross
- Coverage of travel costs in the maximum amount of €400
- Production and PR support
Brzuch Gallery in Wrocław is an entirely independent space for artistic and social activities. It’s a workspace, gallery and a meeting place. It‘s a space of free reflection, not directed to profit, not always functional, protected against mercantilisation. We organize exhibitions, concerts of improvised music, performances, presentations. We lead workshops of drawing and painting, we write stories, philosophical fiction and comic books. Every Saturday we’re hosting the „Short Way”, an ecological market, where citizens of Wrocław can buy healthy, organically produced food and meet local farmers in person.
Covering variety of fields “Brzuch” has a strong, distinctive character. Its holistic approach toward individual and collective aspects of human condition, contextual sensitivity, welcoming, inclusive attitude along with constructive contribution to Wrocław’s cultural landscape shapes an entity that is consistent, vivid and expanding.
It is one of these cracks in an urban shell where untamed, unpredictable, creative energy leaks through, attracting people to come together and weave experiences they are longing for.
Here you can download gallery portfolio
Brzuch Gallery Portfolio (83 downloads)
WHAT WE DEMAND
- We are searching for visual artists from Kosice and Kosice Region/Eastern Slovakia who are interested in cooperation with local artists, organisations and institutions as well as open to local community and eager to stimulate it.
- One presentation/open meeting during the residency and final exhibition at the end of the residency.
- Compulsory attendance.
- Presentation/public event dedicated to the residency after the return to Kosice.
The application must consist of four PDF files:
- PDF n°1: Curriculum Vitae – a short CV including name, address, phone, email, educational and exhibition background;
- PDF n°2: Letter of motivation and objectives – describe your motivation to come to Wroclaw and first ideas of projects you would like to realise there;
- PDF n°3: Portfolio – artist statement and presentation of artworks (max. 10 pages: texts, photos, links to artist´s website, video or audio sharing websites: YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, etc.).
- PDF n°4: ID or passport’s copy
All materials must be submitted in English language.
Date of results: 27.07.2015.
To apply please fill the APPLICATION FORM
CONTACT TO THE SENDING ORGANISATION
email@example.com / +421915078489
THE HOST ORGANISATION
A-i-R Wro Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org / +48506132110
Online: www.wroclaw2016.pl/residencies (official website)