In collaboration with K.A.I.R. - Košice Artist in Residence, we are part of BORDERLINE OFFENSIVE – LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF FEAR (2017-2020), a partnership of 12 countries in Europe and the Middle East, using humour and art to mediate intercultural dialogue and tackle societal challenges as framed by the so-called xenophobia/populism/migrant crisis.
Applying artists are invited to join us in a 3-year artistic research & societal development process. The timeline as follows:
• Be part of an artistic residency for 10 working days, with 3 other artists;
• In Sweden, Serbia, Netherlands, Bulgaria or Slovakia (as host or guest);
• Free time for research, creation and inspiration;
As part of residency programme:
• Design artistic workshops instigating dialogue between migrant/refugee and host communities (2 days)
• Peer-learning with local artistic community/public (1 day);
• Conceive an artwork in preferred discipline/genre, imbued with humor aesthetics’ elements (gallow’s humor, parody, satire, sarcasm, irony, slapstick, etc.);
• Deliver an artwork proposal for potential production and international touring.
• International touring of the produced artworks, a minimum of 3 occasions in 3 different European countries;
• Presentation of artwork + process in international conference in Sweden;
What We Seek:
• 20 Artists (all disciplines, career stages, tribal ideologies), with interest in humor aesthetics, intercultural dialogue, participatory art practices and art-based societal development;
• 19 out of 20 applicants are locally based in Sweden, Serbia, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Lebanon, Palestine, Turkey, Syria (any national origin);
• 1 out of 20 applicants may represent any country, nationality and legal status (as relevant to project’s topics, preferably MENA)
• With ambition to, with no time or money, solve complex global issues which politicians, researchers, capitalists and slacktivists haven’t solved with pornographic (the European Commission sees what we did here) amounts of opportunity and resources;
• A peculiar sense of humor helps, but won’t save you or us from global catastrophe and mutual assured destruction (relax, it’s just a joke – or is it?);
What We Offer:
• Fully covered travel and accommodation;
• Per diem for 10 days + Stipend, in line with EACEA’s max. daily rates per country*
• Seed budget for artwork production (upon approval of proposal, up to 3.000€ by residency);
• Travel, accommodation, and stipend for presentation/performance of artwork in 3 other European countries in 2019;
• Travel, accommodation, and per diem covered for public presentation of artwork in international conference in 2020;
• Promotion of Artwork and artist via project’s portfolio, shared across Europe for further performance/presentation opportunities during 2019-2020;
* Calculate how much you might receive HERE
In case of questions, please contact email@example.com.
Disclaimer: this call contains borderline dangerous/ambiguous humour. Watch out!